Introduction To Installing A New Lawn. Installing a new lawn for a lot of can be a back breaking task and many questions arise while looking out onto your yard area to see a vacant plot or an overgrow lawn area that has been neglected to the point of no return. This short article will attempt to answer a few of the many questions I have answered from homeowners about installing a new lawn from sod.
Should I Must Remove the Old Lawn. Yes, You have to eliminate the old lawn. Taking out the old lawn will guarantee that whenever you plant the new lawn the roots can penetrate from the old green layer. Typically a lawn removal must be to a depth of 2-3 inches, you need to consider the grade where your yard currently sits as well as the level of soil that you need to install for your new lawn. In some special cases when you may give a layer of brand new soil without getting above grade, you could leave the existing lawn set up. New lawns will demand the absolute minimum depth of 3 inches of a well draining soil, rich in nutrients. Most lawn removals can be completed with the use of sod cutter, employing a bobcat plus an excavator in hard to access yards might be a hazard and may create more work than initially planned.
Soil For That New Lawn. Soil for the new lawn is really important to plant health and good growing conditions. Your brand-new lawn will discover significantly better growth over the years if a quality top soil is installed. Most of the time the more expensive the soil, the greater quality.
The ideal lawn ought to be constructed with at least 3″ of the well draining topsoil. The soil itself should contain a minimum of 70% sand and the sub grade should be self draining. Soils that contain high volumes of wood chips and organic matter ought to be avoided. Soils that contain paper recycling waste and have a strong odor ought to be avoided too. In most cases topsoil today is manufactured from compost, be sure to ask your supplier the valuables in the soil and make sure the composting process is done. A soil analysis with a neutral ph balance ought to be requested from your supplier.
Form of Sod or Seed. Sod or also termed as turf will be the preferred approach to installing a new lawn. Sod may be installed year round and turf farms are ready to accept supply throughout the year.
The wide range of grass seed or sod to use will depend on:
1. The use of your lawn area. This consists of the amount of traffic that your lawn area is exposed to, including pets and kids.
2. The amount of sunlight that your lawn area receives. Full sunlight areas should receive at the very least 70% of the daily sunlight.
3. The seasonal temperatures in your climate.
In most cases turf that comes from a sod farm or supplier will carry a number of sod that is great for residential usages. Sod farms will grow varieties of grasses that fair well for first time lawns with heavy traffic and shade. Sometimes specialty grasses are for sale to low maintenance. Make sure you ask…
The Best Way To Install the Sod. Installing a whole new lawn may be completed using these easy steps:
1. Lay the turf out in a brickwork fashion, meaning stagger the rolls and so the seams usually do not match near the top of the sod rolls. Start in a straight line.
2. Butt all edges together tightly. Doing some extra work and spending a little bit more time pulling the joints in the turf rolls together will make sure the grass covers each of the soil. If you leave gaps between the turf rolls, weeds may grow in the bare patches of soil. Sod installation can be quite a difficult task if you don’t take the time to get it done properly.
3. Cut all overlapping pieces into place with a sharp knife. You might niugpu the scraps to complete other bare patches. Sod seams will grow together as time passes. There is no need to waste any extra turf pieces.
4. Water the sod when you install. Tend not to let the turf dry at any time. If the sod is allowed to dry, shrinkage may occur on the seams and also the turf may die. Installing sod over a hot day might require frequent watering so make sure you are prepared in advance.
5. Roll the brand new lawn when you complete laying turf. Installing a new lawn could be a very rewarding task and offers instant beautification to any property.